FHBC’s Elders — nine elected men and the senior pastor (ex-officio) who serve as corporate directors —are charged with the oversight of the operation and administration of the church. They exercise all authority not specifically retained to the members including the following:
- Provide oversight over church finances
- Provide oversight over Church Standing Committees (Nominating, Finance, Personnel, Property, Missions and Benevolence) and special and ad hoc committees (excluding a pastor search task force)
- Name a Nominating Committee from the members
- Provide oversight to the church systems (Worship, Evangelism/Missions, Fellowship, Discipleship and Ministry/Caring) and their respective teams
- Recommend to the members for affirmation the vision, goals, and strategies for the effective and efficient accomplishment of the church’s mission
- Promote congregational fellowship, harmony and unity
According to our church's constitution and bylaws, an elder must...
- Be a mature Christian
- Be seeking to meet all New Testament standards for an elder described in 1 Timothy 3:1-7 and Titus 1:5-9
- Have served at least three full calendar years as a deacon at Forest Hills Baptist Church
In addition, the person shall not be eligible to serve for a period of two years following the end of his term of service as elder.
The current elders and the year their terms expire are:
- 2018 — Sam Bumpus, Ted Murphy, Don Purdy (Chair)
- 2019 — Bill Carden, Benny Hauk, Robert Pautienus (Vice-Chair)
- 2020 — Kenny Beam, Richard Girdler, Joe Hutts
- Ex-Officio — Sam Boyd (Senior Pastor)
Every October and November, three new elders are elected to serve a three-year term beginning in January of the coming year.
The following men have served at least three full calendar years as a deacon and have agreed to serve if elected: Mike Arredondo, Chris Cobb, Jim Goodloe, Ken Harms, Phil Kelly, Hagan Stone, and Larry Thrailkill. The three men elected from this group of candidates will begin serving in January 2019, replacing those whose terms are expire at the end of 2018.
Ballots were mailed to all church members the week of October 21. The deadline to vote was Wednesday, November 14. The new Elders will be announced the week of Thanksgiving.
Email Associate Pastor of Administration Gary Hauk with any questions.